Monday 17 September 2012

Feedback on Assignment five

I'm not sure I could be more pleased. My tutor seems very happy with the work, no suggestions about how it might be improved, the video seemed to work and more importantly for me, the message that I wanted to convey seems to have been delivered and understood. I am being encouraged to get the work ready for assessment and I want to do so.

Whilst the feedback is very positive I am wondering about what to do about one thing. The P&P project was very worthwhile to me, I got to work with people, in more ways than I imagined that I would. It challenged a lot of preconceptions I had and, as I hoped that the course overall would do so, I am therefore glad I was challenged in that way. However it has formed an idea about how I could cope with an issue I have had hanging around my neck for about a decade. It has now given birth to a formed project in my mind. I'm not sure I can hold it off much longer, I could try and harness it until "Documentary" or let it rest as a personal project and work with it in the background. I know that I will only have one chance to complete this project and starting it now, whilst I have a limited tool set scares me as I might not do justice to it. Or should I, like so many other things in my past, jump in and see where the current takes me?

9 comments:

  1. Jump in! Waiting makes no sense - you can learn as you go.

    Glad your feedback was so encouraging. I thought the picture set worked very well. Off to look at the film now. It wouldn't play properly on my phone and haven't found computer time to look at it until now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, there have been some issues with the video not playing - I've no idea why.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations John on both finishing assignment five, completing the course and diving in with the video too...I've been time poor recently so must admit to not having seen it yet, but will do. But seize the opportunity and the enthusiasm now as Eileen says, wade in with both feet with your project idea, particularly if it has been brooding for a decade...it must be well overdue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Penny, It's curious about the video, everyone who came to Leeds has said it is slow and needs "pepping-up". I think as a direct response to Peter's comment about keeping the audience engaged. I wasn't and am not after reporting audience figures, but I can certainly understand the comments and they are valid for that perspective. And I also understand the comment that it might bore the pants off the viewer, because it is slow. But it is there now and it taught me a lot and I don't mind if it takes time :)
    As for the other project I need to find someone to read the outline document first, probably 2000 words; and that's before I start on the project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it's not someone specific you have in mind to read it, I'm happy to go through it if you wish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations John on completing - all steam ahead now for Assessment. From my own experience I would say, "Dive into your project whilst your enthusiasm is there", you can always refine it as you go on and then, surely, any work would count for Documentary if you want it to. I look forward to hearing more about it in any event and, of course, willing to offer help in whatever way you might need.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine, it seems all the metaphors are about getting wet: dive in, wade in, jump in. I'm reading Semiotics the basics and haven't come across what those signifiers signify yet!

      Delete
  6. Congrats on getting it finished John—and on the positive response from your tutor. Going to add my voice to the growing chorus above, jump John!!

    ReplyDelete