Wednesday 18 April 2012

Rousham and the new camera

William Kent (1685 - 1748) landscaped the garden of Rousham House and introduced some interesting features and statuary as one his last major projects before he died. I took my new (to me) camera to look at a "Place". I won't be using it as part of assignment 3 as I have other sites in mind that have "life"in them. The house is only a couple of miles from where I live and over the years I have spent a good deal of time there taking pictures. The first shot I took with the Bronica was:


This statue overlooks the "Arcade" which was designed by Kent, there was a good breeze blowing and the trees show a deal of movement. Moving down and into the "Arcade" I took these shots:





Very quiet, very still, very static shots. Here is the house which has been in the same family since it was built in 1635:


Timeless, this shot could have been taken at anytime in the last four centuries and more.



I include this as I am interested in movement, how it alters the narrative of the image; but this is about generating technique as much as depicting something particular. I have done some work in the digital domain, but closing the aperture down and using slow film (Ilford Delta 100) enables reasonable lengths of exposure to help with controlling the content. It does provide a contrasting feeling to the staid facade of the above.




No comments:

Post a Comment